AUGUSTA, Ga. – The Augusta University men's basketball program and head coach Dip Metress are excited to announce the 2nd edition of Jaguars United Night – a semester-long friendly competition between the colleges and schools at Augusta University to show the most school spirit. The 2019 Jaguars United Night will be celebrated on Wednesday, Jan. 16 during the men's basketball game against UNC Pembroke at 7:30 p.m. in Christenberry Fieldhouse.
"I was inspired when Dr. Keel mentioned one of the missions of the university was to think beyond boundaries and what better way to do this with the collaboration of the colleges and schools," head coach Dip Metress said. "We hope to grow with this event each year."
The AU colleges/schools will compete in six events to earn points: decorating an office, creating a themed banner, an on-campus limbo contest, a sidekick competition, basketball musical chairs, and overall attendance at the game. The winning college will be announced during the game on Jan. 16, 2019. Each college/school at AU will designate a point of contact and the competition begins the week of the game!
The winning school from 2018 in the inaugural year was the Pamplin College of Arts, Humanities, & Social Sciences!
2019 Jaguars United Night
A 6-Event Friendly Competition Between The AU Colleges/Schools
- Each college/school will decorate a selected portion of its college/school
- Judging will be based on the use of the Augusta University Logo and originality!
- The judging of the contest will begin on January 15, 2019
- Each college/school will identify a sidekick for Augustus during the game on January 16, 2019!
- A script of 140 characters or less will be provided to athletics to introduce their sidekick
- Prior to tipoff of the men's game the "sidekicks" will be introduced by Jason Scherer, our public address announcer.
- The judging criteria will be based on the enthusiasm of the sidekick during the game and creativity of costume.
- Each college/school will decorate a twin bed sheet banner provided by athletics!
- The banner should focus on your individual college and Dr. Keel's favorite saying of "Go Jags!"
- The banners will be judged on creativity and use of the school colors (navy and silver).
- The banners must be delivered to Christenberry Fieldhouse by 4:30 p.m. on Tuesday January 15, 2019 and will be hung horizontally in the arena!
- Winners will be announced during the game on Wednesday, January, 16, 2019!
- Each college must designate a professor/instructor/faculty member to participate in the limbo contest at 12:00 p.m. in the breezeway of the Jaguar Student Activities Center JSAC of Summerville Campus on Wednesday, January 16, 2019!
- Each college must select a spirit ambassador to compete in a traditional game of "basketball musical chairs" at halftime of the men's game on January 16, 2019!
- Please help us by promoting Jaguars United Night and having the most attendees from your college at the game on January 16, 2019!
About Augusta Men's Basketball
The Augusta University men's basketball team is led by head coach Dip Metress. On May 10, 2004, Metress was introduced as the fifth head coach in program history. He previously led the Belmont Abbey Crusaders (1996-04) and was an assistant for the Jaguars under Clint Bryant (1989-95). He has never had a losing season in his 14 seasons at the helm of the Jaguars. A two-time Peach Belt Conference Coach of the Year, Metress and the Jags hosted five straight NCAA Regional Tournaments from 2007-11 and advanced to the NCAA Elite Eight three seasons in a row. He was named the South Atlantic Coach of the Year in 2007, the Southeast Region Coach of the Year in 2009, and the NABC Southeast District Coach of the Year in 2011.
Augusta men's hoops has retired four numbers in its 52-year history: Ben Madgen (1), Keshun Sherrill (10), Tyrekus 'AJ' Bowman (23), and Keenan Mann (32). The Jaguars have reached the NCAA tournament 11 times and won their region three times.
Fans of Jaguar Athletics can GIVE by clicking here. Fans of Jaguar Athletics can subscribe to the email listserve by clicking here. Fans can follow Augusta University Athletics at www.AugustaJags.com and receive updates on Facebook at Augusta University Athletics, on Twitter at @AugustaJags and on Instagram @augustajags